Thursday, May 21, 2015

Homemade body care products update.

So I have tried 3 homemade body care products so far, Lip Balm, deodorant and lotion bar.

The lotion bar was nice though it takes time to put on as you have to let it melt.  It does work amazingly well, my hands have not been dry since I made it.  The recipe is here.  I used avocado oil not almond and added 20 drops of essential for fragrance.

The Lip Balm recipe I tried turned out terribly.  I was looking for one with honey in it since honey is so good for your lips.  The honey didn't mix in and it was so hard I could barely put it on. S that recipe I changed.
Here is what I did:

1/4 cup melted beeswax in a pint mason jar as a double boiler
1/3=1/2 cup coconut oil added to the beeswax and stirred till dissolved
1-2 tablespoons avocado or almond oil
3 drops peppermint EO (essential oil)
3 Drops Eucalyptus EO.

I do love it, though the flowery smell from the eucalyptus took a bit to get used to. I want to add a bunch of vanilla for scent but vanilla extract doesn't mix in (like the honey it is not oil based) and my vanilla EO is not in yet.  I bought some (reusable) empty lip balm tubes off amazon and I poured the mixture into those, they cool quick and turn into lip balm and it feels good on my lips, also keeps them soft all day with just a couple of applications.  I put it on at night when I got to bed too.

Last for the deodorant review.  The recipe I used felt good and smelled good, but it was greasy and had to be reapplied every couple of hours or I would start to smell myself.  So I did some research and decided to tweak it a bit. This tweaked version works better than any regular store-bought antiperspirant I have ever used.  Its really pretty amazing. I do feel a little damp sometimes but I never have any odor - even the next morning.  I am pretty happy with it.

I also made this in a pint mason jar as my double boiler.  I labeled it and saved it to use only for deodorant making because it is darn near impossible to wash it out easily.

3 Tablespoons coconut oil (I use the centrifuged stuff for no coconut scent though regular scented would probably smell nice)
2 tablespoons Shea Butter (I got the raw organic stuff on amazon)
Melt these in the double boiler jar then add:
3 Tablespoons Baking Soda
3 Tablespoons Arrowroot powder
5-6 Tablespoons Corn Starch
20-30 drops of Essential Oils (whichever scent you like)  The scent is not strong and goes away after a few hours on.   Stir Well.

Then I poured it into little containers with lids, the mini ziplock bowls work well as do the 1 oz cosmetic containers you can get on amazon.  Into the fridge for an hour or so to harden up then put the lids on and it is good to go.  I leave it on the counter, it is softer in warm weather and harder when cooler.  You will need to use your fingers to apply it and I use about a pea sized amount under each arm, it feels a little powdery but it is not greasy at all and it really works well.

So that is my update on making my own body care!  Some of these I will probably make to give out for gifts as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment