Sunday, March 15, 2015

Simple satisfactions...

Learning a lot watching the food network and then putting some of the things to use.  I am (for the first time ever) using black pepper in my food in small to moderate amounts and finding that I like the flavor it adds.  So I don't hate black pepper - I only hate too much black pepper!

I am slowly building my spice cupboard, and buying some gluten free stuff to try with some of the recipes they show us.  I even bought lasagna noodles this week to try and make Rachael Ray's sloppy lasagna for brad and Willow.  Pierce and I will get gluten free spaghetti with Lasagna flavor hehe.

One thing I do differently than all the shows I have been watching, I use better ingredients, I find most of the chefs and cooking teaches never talk about organic, non-GMO foods but I am trying to buy that as I work on my cooking skills.  I want to do tasty and the healthiest possible for my family.  I also lean a lot less on the breads, for the obvious reason!

I checked out the Schoolcraft culinary arts school only to discover that I would have to go full time - not an option for me while I am still treating the Lyme disease, too many bad days to be able to function enough to actually enjoy what I learn.  I also applied to HFCC but have not heard anything back. Not sure if their school is only full time or not. It may be something I have to wait to do.

Last night I made a chicken and rice dish with red wine, mild curry, garlic and cumin.  It was good but I learned a couple of things.
1) Use 2 pans - I made a one pan dish and it was pretty soggy looking (though the flavors were good).  Move the chicken to a separate pan to de-glaze the first pan with the wine and some chicken broth,
2) Heat up my pan better before I sear the chicken, my chicken only got a tiny bit brown on the outside.
3) Do not mix the rice into the chicken and sauce - get too mushy.  Make a lot more sauce and spoon all of that onto the rice.

Seasoning wise I did good - it was yummy. Family scarfed it down.

In other news Lancelot is growing fast and we are taking him to his first real dog show in Birch Run on Sat April 4th. Slowly collecting the stuff we need to show him - borrowing from Michelle until then.  Also going to start training Isa for Rally competition, which she should love.  Plus no strangers will want to touch her which she will consider a huge bonus.

We are going to put up a fence to give them all room to run around the yard where they will not bug the neighbors and we are going to put new stone down for our driveway and parking spots.  That is it for spring improvements!


No comments:

Post a Comment