Sunday, December 6, 2009

This Ankylosing Spondyltis thingiemabob...

I am getting used to my new diagnosis, still not getting used to the diet.  However every time I fall off the wagon I wind up back in bed - so the motivation is there and keeping me mostly on the wagon.  The biggest downside is not being able to eat out anymore.  It seems like no matter where I go or what I have I don't do well.  The doc says that after 3-6 months once my gut heals up and my immune system goes into remission and back to normal some of that may change. 

The kids are doing better with the lower starch content of our food.  Pierce's skin is getting better and we have not been in the ER yet this month or last month, a vast improvement over last year when he is was in the doc or ER every other week with breathing or skin or eye issues.  I guess we all know that wheat and other grains, potatoes rice etc are really not good for us, but it takes some really outstanding motivation to get us to change how we eat.  I know if I didn't see and feel the results in myself that I would never be able to stick with it and even knowing the results I still mourn daily about the food I am missing.  With my new found energy I am going to do some serious food experimenting to find some variety.

Thank goodness for coconut flour, so I can have bread (tasting a bit like cornbread) and cookies - yummy coconut and natural choc chip... and feel like I am allowed to eat a little something still.  I did get to add banana's back in because my doc said the starch in them probably wouldn't bother me (YAY).  The goal is to eventually come off the Celebrex and be in remission with diet therapy alone.

Brad is frustrated about the whole food thing.  He is a meat and potatoes man, but he does like the coconut cookies... :D

No comments:

Post a Comment