Thursday, April 30, 2015

So natural your dogs will want to eat it!

I've been looking for a hand lotion that will heal my dry chapped hands, I have tried just about every lotion out there but as soon as I wash my hands (which is about 10-15 times a day in between animals and bathroom and dishes) they go back to being dry.  So today I decided to try to make a natural lotion bar for my hands from beeswax, avocado oil, coconut oil and some essential oil.  I found the lotion on another blog, if you want the recipe I have it on my Pintrest board Naturalnut's Pintrest.  I added the essential oils myself, the recipe doesn't call for them.

It was very easy to make - I used a canning jar as my double boiler and that made it easy to pour into my mini tart mold pan.  They are cooling now and I am hoping I can just pop them out.  After I was pouring them I rubbed some on my hands that was leftover in the jar, it feels wonderful and has a very light natural scent.  Best of all it feels so good on my hands.  Let's hope it works as well as I have heard.  The funniest part is the dogs follow me around sniffing and trying to lick my hands, I guess it smells like yummy food to them.

The next thing I try will be lip balm and deodorant, those seem pretty simple and something I can't find quite right anywhere.  I really want a natural deodorant that actually works, and the recipe I picked had some good comments.  It's also on my Pintrest board.  Lip balm is another touchy subject for me - the ones with mineral oil dry my lips out,  the ones with sunscreen make me cough and give my throat a tickle.  I currently use Burts bees, but I have to use a lot of it and its expensive! So lets see if the natural homemade ones can be good too!  They are for sure much cheaper, I can buy enough materials to make about 500 tubes of lip balm for 30 bucks, of course I am only going to make a few so it should just cost me a dollar or so.  One tube of Burts bees is 2-4 dollars.  Quite a difference!  I did splurge and buy some reusable lip balm tubes on Amazon since I hate lip balm in jars or tins.

A nice way to spend this rainy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment